Important Dates to Remember
2023 Important Dates
Open Book is scheduled for Monday, July 17, 2023 from 10 am to 6 pm, by phone appointment only. The 2023 Open Book sessions will be held by phone. We are asking property owners to call Associated Appraisal in advance to set up a telephone appointment for the Open Book (920-749-1995). After setting up an Open Book appointment, the assessor will initiate the phone call for the Open Book session at the appointed date and time. Outside of the scheduled Open Book time period, Property owners are encouraged to reach out to the Assessor during their regular business hours (Monday – Friday, 8:00 AM to 4:30 PM). You may call any time after receiving an assessment notice or after reviewing the assessment roll, but no later than 3 days prior to the Board of Review to conduct your Open Book meeting.
If the assessor is not available at the time of your call, they will make every effort to return your call within 24 hours. When leaving a message please provide your name, phone number, the Municipality in which the property is located, and the Parcel ID number or Tax Key Number from your assessment notice or tax bill.
You may contact the assessor at the following:
Associated Appraisal Consultants, Inc.
W6237 Neubert Road
Appleton, WI 54913
By July 7, 2023, the Preliminary 2023 Assessment Roll and Department of Revenue instructional materials will be available at the following link: https://www.apraz.com/
Board of Review
Board of Review is scheduled to begin on Wednesday, August 2nd, 2023 at 9:00 AM at the Waunakee Village Hall, 500 W. Main Street, Waunakee, Wisconsin. The deadline for providing notice of intent to object to the Village Clerk's office is 9:00 AM on Monday, July 31, 2023. It is recommended that you attend Open Book to discuss your property's assessment value with the assessor prior to appearing before the Board of Review. If you are not satisfied with your assessment value, you will need to make arrangements with the Village Clerk's office to appear before the Board of Review. You must provide the Village Clerk with written or oral notice of your intent to file an objection at least 48 hours before the first scheduled meeting of the Board of Review. In addition, a written and signed form of objection to property assessment must be completed and filed with the Village Clerk's office within the first 2 hours of the Board of Review's first scheduled meeting. Please click here for an Objection form. You must object to the total value of the property. You may not object to only the land value or only the improvement value. The Board of Review will be in session for a minimum of 2 hours, will reconvene as necessary, and will adjourn when all objections, complete and timely filed, are heard.
Property Assessment & Tax Dates
The following are important property assessment and tax dates to remember:
- January 1: Assessment date - All property is assessed as it existed on this date.
- January 31: Taxes due - Payment of personal and real estate taxes are due or the first installment is due for real estate tax, if paying in installments.
- March 1: Filing deadline - This is the last day to file personal property returns for the current year.
- March - May: The assessor will hold an open book session to meet with residents. Dates and times for open book are published in the Waunakee Tribune and posted at the Village Hall. Owners of property that has changed in value will be notified by the assessor of the open book dates and times.
- May - June: The Board of Review session is scheduled. By law, the Board of Review must hold its first meeting within the 30-day period beginning on the second Monday in May.
- July 31: Taxes due - The second installment of real estate tax is due for those who paid only the first installment on January 31. This installment is paid directly to Dane County.