- Your Government
- Waunakee Inspection Department
- Residential Additions and Alterations
Projects Requiring Permits
RequirementsResidents must obtain permits from the Building Inspection Office for all construction and remodeling projects. Permit applications can be submitted by following the instructions on our permit forms and instructions webpage. Permits must be obtained before construction begins.
Applicants should allow 2-5 business days for processing.
Types of ProjectsProjects requiring a permit before construction include the following:
- Additions, including:
- Roofing, siding, and window replacements, if the value is greater than $1,000
- Electric, plumbing, and heating changes (including water softeners and heaters)
- New homes
- Remodeling projects
- Commercial signs
WE ARE EXCITED TO ANNOUNCE THE AVAILABILITY OF OUR NEW ONLINE PERMIT APPLICATION
Online Building Permit Application
This new feature will allow contractors and homeowners to submit for new permits online any time day or night. This portal is for electronic submission of your building permit application and related documents. Prior to submitting, gather the following as needed for your specific permit:
- Parcel number
- Contractor and Sub-contractor info including license # and expiration date
- Electronic (PDF) copy of the following (if applicable for your type of project):
Zoning Permit (If altering the footprint of the home or Fence Permit)
Site Plan/Plot Plan (New Home or Fence Permit)
Impact Fee Form (New Home)
Grading Permit and Plan (New Home)
Erosion Control Plan (New Home)
Braced Wall Plan (New Home)
Heat Calculations (New Home)
Follow these steps for electronic submission of your building permit application:Click on this link to start your application: Online Building Permit Application
1. Choose type of project you are applying for:
- New Commercial (This includes any multifamily structure of 5 or more units)
- Commercial Addition/Alteration
- New Residential 1 Family or New Residential 2 Family
- All Other Residential (Remodel, Deck, Fence, Pool, Electrical, Roof/Siding)
3. Once you have started the permit application you will receive an email with a link in case you need to pause and return to complete the process later.
4. Once you have finished filling out the form the "Submit" button will be highlighted. If there is any missing information on your form, this button will be greyed out. Please verify that all required boxes are checked as complete.
5. You will then receive another email confirming that it has been submitted for review. If you do not receive the second email confirming your submittal, this means it is still in draft form and may have missing information. Please refer back to step number 5 above.
Once your application is submitted, the following will happen:
- Inspector will review and request more information or accept for further processing
- Once accepted, Inspector will complete detailed review, follow-up with remaining questions with the goal of approving
- Once approved, you will be notified, with an email from our office that, your permit is ready and the payment amount owed
As a reminder, no work should begin until you have an approved permit card. Please direct any questions to firstname.lastname@example.org