Projects Requiring Permits
RequirementsResidents must obtain permits from the Building Inspection Office for all construction and remodeling projects. Permit applications can be submitted by following the instructions on our permit forms and instructions webpage. Permits must be obtained before construction begins.
Applicants should allow 2-5 business days for processing.
Types of ProjectsProjects requiring a permit before construction include the following:
- Additions, including:
- Roofing, siding, and window replacements, if the value is greater than $1,000
- Electric, plumbing, and heating changes (including water softeners and heaters)
- New homes
- Remodeling projects
- Commercial signs
This new feature will allow contractors and homeowners to submit for new permits online any time day or night. This portal is for electronic submission of your building permit application and related documents. Prior to submitting, gather the following as needed for your specific permit:
1. Choose type of project you are applying for:
2. Upload plans and other required documentation as part of this process.
3. Once you have started the permit application you will receive an email with a link in case you need to pause and return to complete the process later.
4. Once you have finished filling out the form the "Submit" button will be highlighted. If there is any missing information on your form, this button will be greyed out. Please verify that all required boxes are checked as complete.
5. You will then receive another email confirming that it has been submitted for review. If you do not receive the second email confirming your submittal, this means it is still in draft form and may have missing information. Please refer back to step number 5 above.
As a reminder, no work should begin until you have an approved permit card. Please direct any questions to firstname.lastname@example.org